Parade Date: Saturday, November 9, 2019
PARADE RULES AND REGULATIONS
1. The National Peanut Festival is celebrating its 76th year, and this year’s Festival theme is: “The Ultimate Roadside Attraction”.
2. The deadline for parade entry forms is October 7, 2019. Any applications received after this date WILL NOT be accepted. All applications will be reviewed; however, receipt of application does not insure acceptance. Script information will be sent by October 16 to those who are accepted.Line up positions will be mailed the first week of November.
3. All entries must be approved by the National Peanut Festival.
4. ALL COMMERCIAL ENTRIES MUST BE A FLOAT, and will be charged a $100 entry fee. Entry fees must be paid in full by October 7, 2019. Entry fees are not refundable unless applications are rejected.
5. All entry fees or float payments must be made either with cash, business check, cashier’s check or money order. Please make checks payable to: National Peanut Festival or NPF.
6. Each entry must be submitted on an official parade entry form. Please check to be sure that you have included each of the following (where applicable):
B. SIGNED LIABILITY DISCLAIMER
C. ENTRY FEE (COMMERCIAL ENTRIES ONLY)
D. SKETCH (FLOATS)
7. The National Peanut Festival reserves the right to placement of all parade units. Placement will be determined for the most pleasant, smooth running parade possible.
8. No one younger than age 12 will be allowed to walk in the parade.
9. All automobile signs will be furnished by the National Peanut Festival.
10. THERE WILL BE NO THROWING OR HANDING OUT OF OBJECTS FROM THE PARADE UNITS. VIOLATORS WILL BE IMMEDIATELY REMOVED FROM THE PARADE BY THE PARADE MARSHALS.
11. There will be NO SOLICITATION OF FUNDS along the parade route.
12. NO ONE WILL DISMOUNT TO GREET OR WALK AMONG THE SPECTATORS. VIOLATORS WILL BE REMOVED FROM THE PARADE BY PARADE MARSHALS.
13. All final judging will be done at the Reviewing Stand.
14. The cost for a basic float from the NPF Float Builder is $850.Checks will be made payable to the National Peanut Festival or NPF.
15.Sponsors for Miss and Little Miss Contestants, who are renting a float from the National Peanut Festival Float Builder, must pay for their floats in full by September 17, 2019. Any sponsor who fails to pay their entire float fee by this deadline may cause their contestants to be disqualified from the NPF pageants.
Other float entries built by the National Peanut Festival Float Builder:
A. Must be ordered from the Float Builder by September 17th.
B. A 50% deposit will be required on September 17th for businesses or organizations who are not sponsors for Miss and Little Miss Contestants. Floats must be paid in full by October 17, 2019. Failure to pay for floats in full by October 17th will void your contract with the float builder and you will not have a float in the 2019 parade. Only cash, business checks, money orders or a cashier’s check will be accepted.
A. Must be submitted on an official parade entry form.
B.Must be pulled by tractors furnished by the National Peanut Festival.
C. Must be at least 15 feet in length.
D. Must have a farm-type pin hitch & pin (NOT A BALL TYPE)
E. CANNOT BE A TRUCK!
F. Riders must be sitting or stationary.
G. Must be at the assembly point by 2:00 PM on Friday, November 8th, 2019. Assembly point is the Houston County Farm Center.PLEASE REMEMBER TO LEAVE THE PIN ATTACHMENT WITH YOUR FLOAT AND CHECK THAT ALL TIRES ARE ROAD READY.FLOATS WITHOUT THE PROPER ATTACHMENT OR UNDERINFLATED OR BAD TIRES WILL NOT BE TAKEN TO THE PARADE ROUTE.
H. Floats must be picked up by 1:00 PM on the day of the parade.
FINAL JUDGING WILL BE DURING THE PARADE AT THE VIP REVIEWING STANDS. ALL FLOATS
The NPF Float Builder is Kip Dingler. No phone orders will be accepted. Please complete the attached entry form and the Festival will forward your float request to Mr. Dingler. Mr. Dingler will be in Dothan to discuss your specific needs on Tuesday, September 17th from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM. If you are not able to meet with him on the 17th and have sent in your float order and your deposit, he will contact you after 4:00 PM on September 17th.
ALL FLOAT RIDERS, EXCEPT 2019 MISS & LITTLE MISS NPF CONTESTANTS, WILL NEED TO BE AT THE PARADE ROUTE BY 8:00 AM AND MUST KNOW THEIR UNIT NUMBER. PLEASE ENTER HWY 84 EAST AT SOUTHEAST HEALTH AND DRIVE WEST UNTIL YOU SEE A PARADE MARSHAL.
FLOAT RIDERS MUST BE PICKED UP AT THE 1700 BLOCK OF WEST MAIN STREET, IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE PARADE. NPF PAGEANT CONTESTANTS WILL RECEIVE INSTRUCTIONS FROM THE PAGEANT COMMITTEE.
16. The “Joe Whatley Float Awards” will be presented to the top 5 floats based on the following criteria:
Originality ………………………………………….…… 30%
Decorative Quality ……………………………….... 25%
Use of Theme ……………………………………….... 25%
Use of Peanuts or Peanut Products
(real or artificial) ……………………………………... 20%
17. Prize money for these awards will be:
1st Place …………………………………………...… $300
2nd Place ………………………………………….... $250
3rd Place ……………………………………..……… $200
4th Place ………………………………..…………… $150
5th Place ……………………………………..……… $100
18. The “President’s Award” for the Best Overall Float will receive $500.
19. The “Jack M. Tyson Award” for the Most Creative and Original Float will receive $400.
20. The “Harry Teasley Award” will be presented to the entry representing the best use of the theme.
This float will receive $500.
21.“The Ronald Coleman Award” will be presented to the entry representing the best use of peanuts and peanut products.This float will receive $500
22. Any float not constructed by the Festival Contractor must submit a sketch of the proposed float with their application.
23.Each participating band will receive $550 to help offset the cost of the bus drivers.
24.Bands will not be competing during the parade.
25. Each participating band member will receive a complimentary ticket to the National Peanut Festival after their performance. These tickets will be given out by your band director after the parade.
26. BAND LINE-UP TIME IS 7:30 AM ON HIGHWAY 84 EAST.ALL BUSES MUST BE OFF THE PARADE ROUTE BY 8:15 AM.BAND MEMBERS ARE REQUESTED NOT TO FILTER BACK INTO THE PARADE ROUTE AFTER COMPLETION OF THE PARADE.
HIGH SCHOOL ROTC UNITS
27. All ROTC units must have a minimum of 12 members. Members will each receive a complimentary NPF ticket at Parade.
28. THERE WILL BE NO STOPPING THE PARADE ROUTE.
29. Each unit should be preceded by its own color guard.
30. All ROTC units will assemble in the Civic Center Parking Lot at 8:00 AM.
31.Any current national or state office holders.
32. Area Mayors, Dothan City & Houston County Commissions.
33. Dignitaries invited by the National Peanut Festival Board of Trustees.
34. Agricultural Queens and Festival Queens with reciprocal Parade agreement with the National Peanut Festival will be sent an invitation from the National Peanut Festival. Participants must be age 17 or over.
*Any special guest or parade participant who holds more than one title, must decide which title they wish to represent in the parade.
*A FLOAT IS REQUIRED AND MUST BE PROVIDED BY APPLICANT FOR ANY OTHER SPECIAL GUESTS NOT MENTIONED ABOVE.
35. Equestrian units will be limited to 5 units on a first come / first serve basis. NO individual riders.
36. Equestrian units must be diapered or furnish their own clean-up crew with each unit. CLEAN-UP CREW MUST IMMEDIATELY FOLLOW THE UNIT AT ALL TIEMS STARTING AT LINE-UP. If this rule is not followed, the unit will not be allowed to participate in the parade. *At least one clean-up person for every five horses. Clean-up must begin at line-up!
37. Military units will be escorted to the line-up by Dothan Police.
38. Military units will assemble at the Civic Center Parking Lot at 8:00 AM. SPECIAL PARKING WILL BE DESIGNATED AT THE END OF THE PARADE ROUTE FOR THEIR VEHICLES.
39. Enter Hwy 84 from Southeast Health from 7:00 – 7:30 AM. Reload your units at Northcutt Drugs on Main Street. For the safety of spectators: Shrine Units will be asked to travel in a straight line down the parade route and remain in the two middle lanes. Violators of this safety rule will be removed from the line-up.
NO ONE YOUNGER THAN 12 YEARS OF AGE WILL BE ALLOWED TO WALK IN THE PARADE.
40.Walking units must be non-profit organizations or characters or mascots of businesses invited by the National Peanut Festival to participate in the parade. Costumes, uniforms or matching outfits are required. Entries must be of entertainment value as determined by the National Peanut Festival Board of Parade Committee.
41. The classifications of walking units are:
A. Cheerleaders…March with their bands.
B. Clown Groups… will not be assigned a number, but walk freely through the parade.
C. Walking Characters… will be assigned a unit number.
CHARACTERS WITH COSTUMES THAT MAKE IT IMPOSSIBLE TO WALK THROUGH THE ENTIRE
PARADE ROUTE, MUST PROVIDE THEIR VEHICLE.
SPECIAL NOTES TO ALL PARTICIPANTS:
*FLOAT RIDERS WILL NEED TO BE PICKED UP AT THE 1700 BLOCK OF MAIN STREET.
*SPECIAL GUESTS, WHO ORIGINALLY ASSEMBLED AT THE VIP COFFEE, WILL BE RETURNED BY SHUTTLE TO THE VIP REVIEWING STANDS.
*PARADE MARSHALS, WEARING BRIGHT ORANGE VESTS, WILL BE STATIONED ON EVERY BLOCK AND WILL BE HAPPY TO ASSIST YOU.
SPECIAL RULES REGARDING VEHICLES:
VEHICLES WILL BE LIMITED TO THE FOLLOWING PARADE PARTICIPANTS ONLY! ALL OTHERS WILL NEED TO PROVIDE AN APPROVED FLOAT.
*SPECIAL GUESTS (LISTED ON PAGE 3)
*HOST CITY VEHICLES
*CHARACTERS OR MASCOTS FROM BUSINESSES INVITED BY THE NATIONAL PEANUT FESTIVAL.
*WINNERS OF AUTHORIZED NPF COMPETITIVE EVENTS (CUBMOBILE, ETC.)